As a person and as political analyst my duties among others involve the gathering of data from different sources in attempt to find the truth. Revealing the truth can save people but also save a generation yet unborn. It is very easy as Nigerians to forget so easily as a country and move on as if nothing has happened but this is not so with the world today, The world is watching every move Nigerians make and one way or the other this affects our public image and business interactions with other countries.
Global anti-corruption watchdog, Transparency International (TI), has again ranked Nigeria low in its 2017 Corruption Perception Perception Index (CPI) released on Wednesday. The latest ranking has Nigeria in the 148th position out of 180.
The Panama Papers are 11.5 million leaked documents that detail financial and attorney–client information for more than 214,488 offshore entities. The documents, some dating back to the 1970s, were created by, and taken from, Panamanian law firm and corporate service provider Mossack Fonseca, and were leaked in 2015 by an anonymous source.
Till today none of the names mentioned were ever persecuted by the Nigerian government, out of all the countries mentioned, Nigeria remained the only country who remained mute about the matter.
Nigerian newspaper, PREMIUM TIMES, has released at least 110 Nigerian individuals and companies that have so far been identified in the leaked internal data of Panamanian law firm, Mossack Fonsecca, as operators of offshore shell companies .
The former Vice President of Nigeria, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has joined about 110 prominent Nigerians, who have been named in the Panama Paper leaks, as his name and his offshore assets have been exposed.
Atiku’s named was conspicuously written under the Nigeria’s category, as among the many eminent Nigerians who stashed away the country’s treasure in offshore bank accounts in the recently published report on Wikipedia.
David Mark and Bukola Saraki are senators in the Nigerian Senate.
PDP Presidential candidate for the 2019 elections
- Stashed away the country’s treasure in offshore bank accounts in the recently published report on Wikipedia.
- Jefferson William bribery and money laundering case in United states.
- Abubakar is banned from travelling to the United States for a reason unknown to the public.
- Atiku was implicated in an international bribery scandal along with William jefferson and one of Atiku’s wife, Jenifer Atiku Abubakar .
- January 2017, the U.S. government released a statement saying it would need the consent of the politician before it can disclose the true state of his immigration status to the United States.
- Abubakar has publicly claimed that the true reason is that his visa is still being processed a statement the spokesperson for the Nigerian president called “curious”. source wikipedia.
Currently: Nigeria Senate President
Atiku campaign director
- The EFCC has reportedly indicted the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and some of his aides in the alleged laundering of up to N3.5 billion from the Paris Club Loan Refund.
- In November 2017 an investigation conducted by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalism cited his name in the list of politicians named in “Paradise Papers” allegations
- identified in the leaked internal data of Panamanian law firm, Mossack Fonsecca, as operator of offshore shell companies in tax havens.
Former Senate President, Currently Nigeria Senator
- Investiegated Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in connection with alleged N5.4billion slush funds.
- Identified in the leaked internal data of Panamanian law firm, Mossack Fonsecca, as operator of offshore shell companies in tax havens.
Up untill now, nothing has been done by the Nigerian Government to bring those who were indicted to justice. Even as the fight against corruption continues with the present administraton more is still yet to be done.